In order to maintain a safe, fun, and effective training environment for everyone, we ask that all members, visitors and guests adhere to the following rules and policies:
1. SIGN IN & OUT WHEN YOU ENTER CFL. For Health & Safety reasons we need to know whom is in the gym at any given time, therefore you MUST sign in and out when you enter CrossFit Leicester, whether you are coming to a WOD/Class/Open gym or simply visiting someone. The sign in book/sheets will be on the front desk in reception, please ensure you fill in the correct sheet (there is one for WOD’s/Open Gym/Visitors)
2. BE EARLY. If you’re not early, you’re late. Give yourself enough time to change, chat, go to the toilet and do any additional warm-up before class starts. Most likely that means showing up at least 10 minutes prior to class start time.
3. CHECK YOUR EGO AT THE DOOR. Somewhere a school kid is warming up with your PB.
4. CLEAN UP. Put your shizzle away. Clean up your sweat, blood and puke. Pick up your used tape, pens, notebooks, scrap papers, chalk, plasters, wrist straps, water bottles and sweaty clothes. Put away all the equipment you used where it belongs. Stack the boxes neatly, put the bars in the racks, stack the plates in order, and hang up your skipping rope.
5. RESPECT OUR EQUIPMENT. Drop only as a last resort. Put things down gently. Only drop weights when you have to bail and not a convenience. Bumpers are designed for emergency dropping, not dropping every rep. ALWAYS keep your weight under control. NEVER drop an empty barbell. NEVER drop a kettlebell or dumbbell. Our equipment is expensive, and the more times we have to replace it, the more we’re going to have to charge you.
6. BRING THINGS TO OUR ATTENTION. If you notice that equipment is broken, lights are out, were are out toilet paper in the lavatory, simply bring it to our attention, so we can do something about it. If you have a problem with a coach, another member or anything in general tell us, rather than moaning to other members or bitching on social network to people who cannot solve the situation. If you don’t tell us then we don’t know and we can’t do anything about it.
7. TRY HARD. Effort earns respect. Work hard. Don’t drag people down with a bad attitude. Be optimistic, have fun and push yourself and those around you to do better.
8. GO HEAVY OR GO HOME. The only way to get stronger is to increase the load. Always strive to go a little heavier and a little faster. Never say, “I can’t”. When you want something you’ve never had, you have to do something you’ve never done. Push your limits.
9. DON’T CHEAT. No one cares what your score was. Everyone cares if you cheated. Be honest with everyone else, and be honest with yourself. You know what full range of motion is; so there’s no excuse for shoddy reps. If a coach calls you out for doing something wrong, listen to them. The coach standing around watching you work out has a much better perspective on what you’re doing than you do.
10. LEARN HOW TO COUNT. If you lose count, the next number is always ONE !. If you know you have trouble keeping count, ask someone to count for you or use a chalkboard. If you log a PB on the board, you MUST have someone count for you and/or witness it. If no one saw it, it didn’t happen.
11. THE WOD TAKE PRIORITY. There’s a myriad of reasons we have WOD’s in CrossFit for starters: You’re less likely to bias yourself towards the things you’re good at; You get some competition; you get support, you get coached and no matter how experienced you are you still need coaching and need to work on the basics. If you have extra things you’re working on, there are times before or after the wod and open gym to work on them. Newbies, make sure you’re staying consistent and learn from the coaches. Old hands, don’t start thinking that it’s okay to do your own thing whenever you want to, remember the rules.
12. OPEN GYM. Our Open Gym is for athletes to work on their weaknesses and develop strength and improve on skills. Open Gym hours are NOT for groups to take over to do their own WODs. If there is a WOD you would like to do in a group speak to the head coach who will schedule it in, or you can book a time with him to use the box – so that others can use the open gym for what it is intended. Open Gym is a chance for us to come together, support and learn from each other, but remember we have coaches for a reason so use them if you are not sure about anything. Do not take over the Open Gym area, have respect for others that wish to use it. If you use any equipment from the main CrossFit side you must put it back at the end of your session, everything has it’s place. For Health and Safety reasons: Do not walk through or interrupt the main WOD area once it has started this includes but not exclusive to: going to the toilet (use the toilets in the office area), getting equipment, chatting to mates, filling water bottles (get water from the kitchen in the office area) or in fact anything at all. Have respect for the coach and the other members doing their sesson.
13. BOX HQ CLASSES TAKES PRIORITY. When the group classes are running they take priority and are not to be interrupted, turn the open gym music off or use your headphones, have respect for those attending those classes. Do not run through the middle of the workout space, use the doors on the side when classes are taking place. Remember, it is those classes that pay for the open gym area and using that space is a privilege and not a right.
14. PAY ATTENTION WHEN THE COACH IS GIVING INSTRUCTION. It doesn’t matter if you’ve been doing CrossFit for 1 month or 5 years, it’s disrespectful to have your own private conversation or do your own thing when the coach is trying to give instruction to the class. You may know how to perform each movement off the top of your head, but not everyone does, so just be patient and quiet and let everyone get the full benefits of the coaches’ knowledge. Besides, you might learn something new about the lift that you would have otherwise missed! Respect our Coach’s, their #1 priority is coaching excellence in a safe training environment for all athletes. In that regard their word is law, so please respect their authority!
15. TAKE OWNERSHIP. Be responsible and respectful and take pride in our box CrossFit Leicester. Don’t let others get away with things that are bad for them or bad for the gym. It is for individual training and practice. Remind people to take their clothes with them and pick up their water bottles. If you see someone doing something that you’re pretty sure will hurt them, tell them to cut it out. We don’t care who it is — if anyone is deadlifting with a rounded back, you can call them out! Safety first!
16. INTRODUCE YOURSELF TO NEWCOMERS. Hopefully your coach will take the initiative and announce a drop-in or a new member when you turn up for class. That’s the first step. But you should view it as your duty as a member of CrossFit Leicester to make sure that the new athlete feels welcome in a new environment—especially if it’s their first taste of CrossFit. Furthermore, the new member will probably give a positive review of our box to their friends, which will bring in new members which will help the community grow.
HAPPY CROSSFITTING FOR ALL MEMBERS AT CROSSFIT LEICESTER