- BRAISING STEAK DICED – 1kg/ 2.2lbs
- COCONUT OIL – 1 tsp
- FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER – 1 tsp
- SMOKED PAPRIKA – 1 tsp
- ONION POWDER – 1tsp
- GARLIC POWDER – 1tsp
- GARLIC – 3 cloves (or less if you do not like garlic)
- SWEET ONION – 1 large
- TOMATO PASSATA – 4 fluid ozs/118ml
- BALSAMAIC VINEGAR – 4 fluid ozs/ 118ml
- WATER – 4 fluid ozs/118ml
- BEEF STOCK – 2 Tbsp
- CAULIFLOWER – 1 head
- BUTTER – 1 Tbsp
- FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER – to taste
- In a small bowl, combine pepper, paprika, garlic and onion powder.
- Combine vinegar and tomato passata in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Season all sides of roast with spice mixture.NOTE: You may have some of the spice mixture left over. This can be saved for another use.
- Slice onion into thick slices and place in the bottom of the crock pot with garlic.
- Warm oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place roast in the skillet and brown one side, without moving the roast, for 5 minutes. Use tongs to flip the roast and brown the other side for 3 minutes. Brown the other parts of the roast for about 1 minute each side. Place browned roast on top of onion in crock pot.
- Turn heat to low, add water and stock to the skillet. Deglaze pan with a wooden spoon. Pour pan liquid over roast, then pour balsamic mixture on top.
- Place lid on crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours.
- While roast cooks, steam cauliflower until tender. You can steam in a microwave by placing in a covered bowl with a little water and heating for about 2-3 minutes. You can also steam in a steamer insert over simmering water.
- Drain cooked cauliflower and transfer to bowl of a food processor. Add butter and season with salt and pepper. Process until smooth.NOTE: I had a turnip I needed to use so I cooked it and added it to the cauliflower. I think it improved the texture and flavor. If you have a white root vegetable, feel free to cook it and add it in.
- When roast is done, shred it in its juices, serve over pureed cauliflower, and ladle juice over the top.